My Proposal Story: She Said, Yes

I asked my girlfriend Ashley to marry me yesterday morning. At 5:57 am, I called her up and asked her to step outside for a moment and follow the music. She was led to a little clearing in a small grove of trees just outside of her apartment. She sat down on the blanket laid over a small hump of leaves and dirt.

Guitar in hand, I played the chorus to her favorite song, and segued into the first song I ever wrote for her, but changed some words and added a final verse, asking her to marry me.

She seemed to be enjoying the music, but once I got to this phrase in the song, her eyes got really big. I wondered if she was thinking, "Now? This is happening now? No make-up, in my pajamas, out in a forest?"

Still playing my guitar, I recited 1 Corinthians 13 to her as a reminder to us both of what true love calls for - total sacrifice. It's been a difficult road these past two years of learning that.

There have been times when I thought about giving up; I guess that I didn't realize I had so much selfishness to work through. Time and time again, God has told us that if we want this to work that it's going to cost us everything, including ourselves. It took me awhile to accept that and little while longer to embrace it. Now, it brings so much peace.

I asked her, in song, on bended knee, and she accepted before I could even pull out the ring, which was tied to the string of my hooded sweatshirt and tucked away. I explained to her that I was tired of living separate lives, of not being able to plan our future together without feeling awkward. I didn't want to spend another day with that uncertainty. Again, I asked her, and she said, "Yes."

I slid the ring on her hand, and it fit. I kissed her forehead, and we hugged each other. It was one of the tightest hugs she's ever given me. We lay down on the blanket for a little while and just embraced each other.

With the light of dawn beginning to break and that beautiful quiet of early morning, we were caught up in an idyllic dream state - hidden in the brush, away from the world, sleepily gazing at each other. With only the sound of our breath and the birdsongs, it was an intimate moment, and I treasured it.

2 comments:

  1. very imaginative...love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one...it makes me feel all the love in the world...specially the love that I am having right now...so inspiring...---allet

    ReplyDelete